I have written about mindful play before. Just being present and attending to Asher settles in. He delights in the closeness and undivided attention. I’m struggle with it though, as there are some days that I just want to get things done. Given that Ash is now older, I can set timelines and inform him that I will play with him when a certain chore is complete or if he helps me out, it could be quicker (*disclaimer that it may not be but at least it involves him and he feels like he is helping).
Not just chores. There are days where emotionally I feel so drained that I almost feel like I have nothing else to give. Those days are warning signs as I pretty much feel like a zombie walking around. Asher usual “mummy, come play with me” elicit an irritation. Those days are usually associated with someone being sick, sleep deprivation or a combination of sickness, work and accepting too many responsibilities/appointments.
I have learned that for my personality type, my mind becomes overly stimulated and I need to be retreated back to quietness to still my brain. Not that easy when you have a toddler wanting your attention every minute!
So far, self care strategies is holding me. Looking forward to my quiet drive to work as I grab a coffee at my favourite deli. Heading off to a workout. Having a shower by myself. Even just making sure I have my essential oils with me. Eating well and trying to sleep in time.
And if all else fails, hand child to husband.
I have been loving making raw treats in my kitchen AND on top of that, utilising my growing essential oil collection with it. This one features one of my firm favourites at the beginning Wild Orange. The other reason why I adore this was because it uses gelatine which is grass fed and gut healing. Not the stuff we can grab from supermarkets baking shelves though. This one I bought from I Quit Sugar. I call it my Wild Orange Coconut Caramel Jelly Slice.
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 pitted medjool date soaked in warm water
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup of almond milk or home made
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp gelatine bloomed with 1/4 cup of water
- 4-5 drops of wild orange DoTerra essential oils
- Make base by putting ingredients in food processor. Splash of water till it comes together. Press in 9inch tin and put aside.
- To make the jelly. Bloom gelatine first. Set aside. In a saucepan, some coconut, almond and coconut sugar till it becomes thick and slight caramelised in colour. This might take up to 15 minutes. Cool slightly. Whisk in gelatine and essential oils. Taste and add more oil or sweetener if required. Pour onto base. Chill for 2 hours or till set.